Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday

Strava training log
Good morning! Another new day, another new week, all gifts from God, as is every breath we breathe, when you think about it. It's great to be alive and enjoying it all. How's that for some positive thinking on a Monday? You're welcome! ha ha

OK, I had a great weekend of training, and that pushed me to my highest weekly total time since I began this Ironman quest. I don't know if I will hit 20 hours or not, but I hope to. I am getting closer. I am finding it an art to balance the days and fatigue from previous workouts. This last week I was able to manage them much better. I hope this is an indication of fitness.

For example, I swam a mile and then rode 30 on Thursday morning, but I felt tired on both of those. I was unsure how I would do on my long run on Friday. Here may be the biggest factor: I had a great night's sleep Thursday, getting lots of rest. Friday morning was cool, so things were aligned for me to do a 15 miler. That's what I did, and it went well.

Well, after running 15, my longest run of the year on Friday, I was wondering how I would ride on Saturday. I did not sleep super well or long on Friday, but I had a really good ride on Saturday. I rode 104 without any hints of bonking and evening getting all that tired. I had great riding partners for most of it, which makes it all go better. We worked together on the ride, occasionally pulling each other.

John started out with us but went back early because he is tapering. Roy, Rand, Jim, and I continued on to Campbellsburg, Fredricksburg, and then Palmyra. It was a nice course, except for the 5 miles each way on 150 from Fredricksburg to Palmyra. Some complained loudly about this! The cars were not friendly or smart, passing us several times with oncoming traffic present. After a brief lunch stop in Palmyra we returned with a bit of a push for a south wind.

Yesterday I went out to the lake. I only have time for about 2 miles on Sunday afternoon, unless I make special arrangements. I did the 2 miles, and it went ok. I thought I was slower than last week, but I was actually 2 minutes faster. It certainly is nothing to write home about it, but it is fast enough to get me off to a good start at Ironman Florida. That's my goal: get out of the Gulf and get on the bike!

This week will probably see me with less hours, which is OK. I am thinking of starting today with a 7 miler. We'll see how I feel. I hope your week is off to a great start!




No comments:

Post a Comment