Wednesday, August 6, 2014

"Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike. . . Guess What Day it Is??"

Rand rockin' the new aero helmet
Good morning! It's hump day! I hope it's a good one for you. Me too, actually.

Yesterday was a busy, crazy day, which seems to be normal of late. Endurance training is a nice break from all of it. A lot of my training is done early in the morning and helps me prepare to face the day. Tuesdays are different. It is one of two days, Thursday being the other, where I train in the evening. It's a nice way to end the day, but I confess I often feel pretty worn out going into it.

Last night I wanted 50 miles, so I started early and rode around town for a while. I came back to the parking lot around 5:30 and found it empty. Maybe I didn't get the memo? About the time I was contemplating this, Tim the Elder showed up. Then here comes John H. A little while later Rand rolls up. Is this it? Yep.

No Troy, no Bill, no Jim or Tim, no Roy, no Scott, nobody else but the fab four. Bill gets busy and it all falls apart? No, I think it was just an unusual night. We talked before we left, and we talked on the way out, and indecision dominated the conversation. I finally made the call, "Let's do the double." This was after asking myself, "WWBD?" Hey, I even said, "We are here to work!"

So we rolled into the Baptist church parking lot. Being the slowest rider, I said I would go first, and I did. As I got about halfway out, I was wondering, "Who came up with this stupid idea?" Perseverance. Pedal on. I did 19.8 last week, and since the wind was less last night, I was hoping for 20 mph. I hit the halfway mark of 10 miles about 1 minute behind pace.

I knew the wind was SW, so I was hoping the S would help going back more than the W did going out. It did help a little more, and I did end up with 20 mph average. Just barely! But I did make it. I was a little surprised but pleasantly so. It was a good, hard workout for me. Tim, Rand, and John looked great as they passed me.

John ended up with 22.4 mph, doing the course in 53:35, placing him in 2nd place on the leader board. Iron Bill has a commanding lead, setting the record at 50:13 or 23.9 mph last week. My beloved Luddite friends, Rand and Tim, did well, but I'm not exactly sure. I heard Tim say something about 57 minutes, and I think Rand went a little faster than that. It was a nice, fun night.

Three fourths of the riders went to Wendy's for refreshment and Ironman talk. John is only 2.5 weeks away. He got his athlete guide yesterday, which is his words, makes it very "real." I know he is going to do really well at Louisville.

What to do this a.m.? I think a shorter, easier run. I heard a lecture last night on the importance and value of rest. I pay attention, even though I don't always follow good advice.

2 comments:

  1. 29:04, 28:20 for 57:24 - 20.9mph

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ride, Tim! And you know Luddite is a term of endearment.

    ReplyDelete