Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday

Good morning! It's Friday! It's going to be a busy one for me, since I took yesterday off. Oh well, it's all good.

Yesterday turned out to be a great day of training, just like we hoped it would be. Jimmy was delayed a little, so we got started around 7:45, which was fine. The morning temps were cool but the humidity was high. We made our way south and west, extending the Amish Super 2 by turning west/right at the end.

By the time we got to Orleans we were looking at 13.5 miles. Time to head east for a while, like all the way to Campbellsburg. Then we went south, like all the way to Fredricksburg. There we were sitting on 46 miles. We had not stopped and didn't stop then. With depleted water supplies, we rolled into the gas station at Campbellsburg with 63 miles.

It was our first and only stop of the day. We got water, Gatorade, and a small break. It took 10 minutes to do all that. Then it was time to head west for a while, which was the best direction of the day. There was a very small wind out of the east, but still it helped.

All in all it was a pretty uneventful day. We only average 16.5. Jimmy didn't feel good for quite a while. Then when he started feeling better, I was feeling the heat/humidity. It was pre-pre-bonk stuff. Didn't even get close, though. I was able to manage and finish in an upright position. We rolled into the church parking lot at 100.1 miles.

On the ride we worked on our nutrition/hydration plan. I drank 110 ounces of water and Gatorade, mostly water. I consumed approximately 1000 calories but burned 2500-3000, I think. Both are on the low end of what I need to do, so I have more work to do in that area.

After a little break and some real food, I headed out to Kenray Lake. Jim was there with KJ to go fishing. Jim brought his swim gear, just in case it would work out for him. I jumped in and took off. I did a mile in a fairly decent time for me (38 minutes). The water was really warm. It felt good on the old man's tired body.

Brent V showed up to swim, right as I finished. I offered to fish with KJ so Jim could swim. Jim got a mile in, and I think Brent did too. I got home and we had a nice meal of salad and spaghetti. It was a nice day of training for Ironman.

Today? I think there could be another swim in the works, which would be great! I want in the water as much as possible between now and November 1. I know Kenray is not the Gulf but comfort/confindence in the water, that comes from being in it, should carry over, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment