Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tuesday Morning

Good morning! I hope you are doing well today. I woke up earlier than I wanted to, which is common for me. I really try to get 8 hours of sleep, but it rarely happens. My body, it seems, thinks anything over 7 is adequate. I feel so much better when I get closer to 8, however. Oh well, I am blessed to get that much, I know. I hear about how little others sleep and know to be grateful for what I get.

Yesterday was Miles Monday, as Jimmy calls it. It will, in a matter of weeks, become Tempo Tuesday. He confirmed what I thought: Tuesday Pace Line rides will cease after the USAT Club National Championship, which is September 12, I think. Instead of riding on Tuesday evenings, we will run.

My riding is taking second priority now. This is according to my plan to increase my running fitness in preparation for the Monumental Marathon. I hope to get my miles to near 30 this week. Last week I did 25. I hope to move that on up to around 40 per week. This will be easier as I move the long run up toward the 20-mile mark.

Last night was very hot and humid, more so than last week. I was determined to try do the speed work anyway. I figure whatever I can do now will pay off later, even if I am slower due to heat. Before I get to my effort, which seems pretty weak when compared to what the other did, let me express my respect for Jim, Tim, Ryan, and I think Rand. I say that about Rand because I do not know what he did. He did look good when I saw him.

The other 3 ran 5 miles in the 6:50ish range. That's impressive to me, especially in last night's conditions. There is no need for me to compare myself to them, I know, so I use them as inspiration to do better.

Last night I ran 2 miles, each at a 7:10 pace, according to my Strava data. Last week I ran 1 mile at 6:57. The only knock I have about last night's performance is that I had to stop after the first mile to reset my heart. I don't know how high my rate was. I do know at the end of the second mile it was 183. Looks like the average rate, according to the segment data, was 172 for the first mile and 177 for the second. That's pretty high and a reflection of the heat index.

I appreciate Scott running with me. He cruised easily through both miles. It was nice to have him there to keep me company and to keep me honest in my effort.

Tonight we ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment